Stop pollution: you can play your part
Energy & transport
Walk or bike as much as you can to reduce harmful emissions. For longer distances take the bus or train. Your actions will not only help to improve air quality, but also protects the environment.
Buy organic products. This will ensure the food on your plate contains no artificial fertilisers, pesticides and insecticides. Healthy soil and clean water can only be good for your health.
Garden & home
Don't use artificial fertilisers and toxic pesticides in your garden. Also, avoid using environmentally harmful cleaning agents.
- Avoid packaging waste and always recycle paper, metals and plastics.
- Buy glass bottles instead of plastic ones. Or use reusable water bottles for drinks on the go.
- Don’t use plastic bags when shopping. Instead pack your shopping in a backpack, shopping basket or reusable bags made of cotton, jute or recycled plastics.
To protect your health and the environment, don't buy cosmetics containing the following substances:
- Nanomaterials such as silver, titanium oxide or zinc oxide. Nanomaterials are known to have a higher level of chemical reactivity, higher biological activity and a stronger catalytic behaviour compared to larger particles of the same chemical composition. You can learn more about nanomaterials by visiting the Friends of the Earth Germany website (BUND)
- Microplastics such as polyethylene (PE) or polypropylene (PP) or other plastics. The microscopically small plastic particles flow via wastewater unhindered into the environment where they do great damage. You can learn more about microplastics by visiting the Friends of the Earth Germany website (BUND)
- Hormone disruptors such as parabens or benzophenones. According to a study by the Friends of the Earth Germany (BUND) about a third of all cosmetic products contain hormone disruptor chemicals. These substances interfere with the hormones in your body and can cause a number of serious health problems.
You can use the ToxFox Cosmetic Check App to find out which cosmetics contain hormone disruptors.