Protecting our climate: you can play your part
- Avoid wasting energy at home. Remember to turn off the light whenever you leave a room.
- Avoid leaving electrical devices or chargers on standby. Pull the plug out from the mains or switch off the power strip when not in use.
- In winter, you don't need to walk around your apartment in a t-shirt. Turning down the radiator a notch and putting on a cosy sweater can save you money on your heating bill.
- Always buy energy efficient appliances. When buying new electrical appliances always check the energy rating label to find a unit with low energy consumption.
For more tips on saving energy at home click the link to the Federal Environmental Agency website below
- For shorter distances, the best way to get to your destination is to walk or hop on your bike. Another alternative is public transport.
- For long distances, take the train. Almost a quarter of the CO2 consumption in Germany is generated by motor vehicles.
- Buy organic products whenever possible. Organic products tend to have a better carbon footprint than conventionally grown foods.
- Buy locally sourced produce. Shorter transport distances mean a significant reduction in fossil fuel use.
- Opt for seasonal products. Buying seasonal products can reduce the need for long-term storage and refrigeration.
- Eat less meat and dairy products. Beef and milk production has a particularly harmful effect on the environment.
- Buy high-quality products that can be used for long time. Don't throw your old clothes and electrical equipment away. Instead give away, sell or recycle them.